Spinal Deformity Surgery
The spine is a bony structure that acts as a pillar of support for the rest of the body. It also houses and protects the nerves responsible for movement and sensation. Even slight deformities of the spine can significantly impact your quality of life, which is why they need to be addressed promptly. At Dr. Han Jo Kim’s office, we understand this and provide patients with the surgery required to aid in the recovery process.
Dr. Kim is well versed in treating the following conditions:
Spinal Deformities Treated
With years of experience at his disposal, Dr. Kim is well versed in treating both common and rare deformities of the spine. After working with the other physicians, you have visited to compile a full picture of your diagnosis, Dr. Kim and our team will determine if surgery is the best option. We may deem this to be the case if you are diagnosed with any of the below conditions:
- Scoliosis (side-to-side curvature of the spine).
- Kyphosis (abnormal forward rounding of the spine, usually more than 50 degrees).
- Lordosis (inward curvature of the spine in the lower back area).
- Growths, herniated/degenerated discs, and other deformities.
Types Of Spinal Deformity Surgery
The type of surgery administered by Dr. Kim and our team will directly depend on the condition you’re diagnosed with and the symptoms that are presenting themselves. Any of the below can be utilized to help better patient condition:
- Decompression/Laminectomy: This type of operation involves Dr. Kim removing the lamina, the back part of the vertebrae, to reduce the nerve compression that is causing pain or weakness.
- Fusion: Fusion involves using a bone graft to connect two vertebrae, restoring spinal height and stability permanently.
- Spinal Reconstruction: Complex deformities may require total spinal reconstruction surgery to restore function. This involves using long rods and medical screws to stabilize and straighten out the spine.
I met Dr. Han Jo Kim, who looked at my x-rays and scans, turned to my wife and I, and said, “I can fix it.” No one had ever told me this and I had been to over a dozen doctors for various treatments … my back is pain-free. I am walking up straight, and I even gained two inches. My back is the best it has ever been. Dr. Kim is a miracle man and I cannot thank him enough for what he has done for me!!
I had Dr. Han Jo Kim do the surgery … the next day I was walking completely upright. Dr. Kim came in to see me almost every day after surgery … Every day I thank the Lord for creating a doctor like Dr. Kim who gave me my life back.
I made an appointment with Dr. Han Jo Kim, who was confident that he could help me. With kindness and compassion, he patiently answered all my questions … the surgery was successful, and my hospital stay was comfortable. I am now straight, pain-free, 2 inches taller, able to enjoy a 5 mile walk, and very very grateful to the amazing Dr. Kim, his team, his office staff, and to every person involved in my wonderful care at HSS!